The Future of Android App Development in 2023
Android established itself as a leading mobile platform long ago. Today, most mobile manufacturers should think of including Android app creation into their business development strategies as its market share comprises 71.96% of all mobile operating systems, only ceding almost 30% of the market to iOS.
It’s evident that Google strives to preserve the monopoly of Android in the mobile development market and will remain popular long ahead of 2023. Thus Google offers more and more breathtaking technologies and outstanding tools for building Android-based apps year after year.
Meanwhile, Android-wide dissemination also leads to increased competition among the companies that build their software for this mobile platform, making it harder for the apps to stand out. That’s why, for companies with Android-based apps, it’s essential to pay close attention to the latest Android development trends and properly implement them in their mobile solutions.
In this article, we’ll have a look at the Android development trends that will be relevant in 2023.
Android Development Trends 2023
In 2022, there were over 2.68 million mobile apps in the Google Play Store and this impressive figure is expected to increase even more in 2023, intensifying the competition among mobile apps. Therefore, app owners are constantly trying to improve the user experience in their apps by implementing the innovations brought in by Google.
Here are the latest Android app development trends that companies should pay attention to make their apps more engaging, robust, and user-friendly.
Android Instant Apps
Android instant apps are a time-saving technology that allows quickly checking an app without its explicit installation on a device. It saves end-users time and helps them to use the app much faster. Moreover, Android instant apps don’t take up much space on gadgets, preventing system interruptions due to full memory.
E-commerce businesses and game developers considerably benefit from instant apps. Technology makes it much easier for businesses to advertise their products and attract potential customers. Now, users don’t need to go to the Google Play Store in search of an app, instead, they can run into these apps in Google search results and instantly open them to check. Though to install the full app version they still need to visit the app store.
It’s easy to enhance an Android app with the Instant app features. Google provides developers with Android Instant Apps SDK and App Links Assistant which allows converting existing mobile apps into Instant Apps or building a new one from scratch. Meanwhile, the Android App Bundle will alleviate the app release and publishing process.
AI and Machine Learning
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies are widely used for Android development. They underpin such digital solutions as voice assistants and chatbots, Big Data processing, analytics, automation, and many others.
Implementation of AI and ML in Android apps help businesses to enhance their customers’ experience. For example, they can:
- Automate routine tasks such as classifying tickets by topic, sending messages and reminders;
- Improve user recommendations, forming them based on customer preferences;
- Enhance filter configuration on E-commerce sites;
- Customize a mobile app in line with customer preferences and its deeper connection with the users like reminders configuring, personalization of app layout, or even provision of special discounts or prices for regular customers.
It’s expected that the global AI market will reach the figure of $126 bln by 2025, significantly contributing to global economic growth and thus further influencing the mobile app development sphere. Therefore, such trends as AI-based chatbots, voice assistants, smart predictions, and others will be widely implemented in mobile app development and become a must-have feature for any app to survive in the market in 2023.
The two mobile app development trends in 2023 are 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies. 5G is expected to give a dramatic rise to IoT, promoting its spread from Smart Houses to Smart Cities.
Apart from the bright prospects for the future, many businesses are already reaping substantial benefits from embedding IoT technology in their mobile apps. Now IoT solutions are used in:
- Smart fitness trackers empowered by GPS, accelerometer, and gyroscope devices for better movements, location, and workout tracking;
- Smart Homes sensors to track lighting, temperature, security status, and possible water or gas leakage;
- Smart Home gadgets to connect a microwave, a fridge, a lighting system, and others into one network which can be managed in a mobile app manually or with the help of voice assistants;
- Industrial IoT for tracking production flow and preventive maintenance, when all the stats, statuses, and analytics can be checked simply in one mobile app;
- Transportation and logistics when each product route can be traced in an app by scanning a barcode on the label.