Hiring Java Developers in Poland – What Do You Need To Know?
Since its inception, Java has always kept top positions in diverse programming language rankings. In Stack Overflow’s yearly reports Java was steadily ranked the 5th among most used programming, scripting, and markup languages from 2018 to 2021.
Today, Java is still in demand and many businesses include it in their apps’ tech stacks. In 2022, Stack Overflow ranked Java the 6th most used programming language and the reasons for such popularity are simple. Java is robust, easy-to-use, and can be utilized for building practically anything from FinTech solutions to IoT applications, and much more.
While Java is one of the most widely used languages, it can be difficult for companies to find a highly skilled Java team for their software development projects. That’s why, many businesses opt for IT outsourcing and search for Java developers in foreign countries such as Poland – a tech powerhouse in Europe.
In this article, we’ll explain the reasons why to search for Java developers in Poland and give valuable tips on how to hire the best Java developers there.
Why hire Java developers in Poland
There is a wide range of IT destinations where businesses can outsource their software development to. Though, Poland really stands out among all of them and there are several reasons for that.
The main reasons why many businesses around the world consider outsourcing development to Poland are:
- attractive tax policies – tax incentives in the Polish Investment Zone, tax relief for R&D centers, reduced taxes for the income derived from intellectual property rights, innovative employee tax relief, and much more;
- top tech talent pool – every year over 66,000 students study ICT subjects in Poland; who of them are ranked high in the QS World University Rankings; the University of Warsaw is ranked 284th and the Jagiellonian University holds the 293rd position;
- strong orientation towards international projects – most of the Polish developers work for foreign organizations, making up to 66% of all IT experts; meanwhile, ⅓ of all Polish services are exported to the US; the KPMG report states that the US accounts for 11% of the value of FDI into Poland, making 4% of Polish GDP;
Tips for Hiring Java Experts From Poland
When hiring Java developer talent from remote locations, businesses have to be well-prepared for that. Generally, the hiring process can be divided into two main parts – testing Java developers’ technical knowledge and their soft skills. Here are small tips on what you can do to arrange a successful interview.
Testing Technical Skills
To make sure that the interviewed specialist is a perfect candidate for your software development project, you have to make sure that they have a solid knowledge base. It means that a Java developer knows well general Java-related concepts, e.g. object-oriented programming, SQL queries, and how to work with the most common Java frameworks like Spring, Grails, Hibernate, etc.
The list of questions to ask potential Java candidates might include such questions as:
- How does Java achieve platform independence?
- What is JIT, JVM, JRE, and JDK?
- Why do Java developers need to implement synchronized methods and blocks?
- What’s the difference between overloading and overriding?
- What advantages does generic collection provide?
Apart from theoretical questions, you can also include some practical test tasks. For example, the candidate could write a small piece of code in Java. Or, you could ask them if they have a portfolio on their GitHub.
Testing Soft Skills
Checking the candidate’s soft skills is equally important to testing practical skills, especially when you hire Java developers remotely. You need to ensure that the employee will keep you updated on the latest project development steps and that they won’t get lost in problem situations.
To check communication skills, you can ask about the candidate’s previous work and projects, what were the most complex issues on the last project and how they coped with them, what are the challenges they often encount