— What time is it?
— It’s the middle of Voice Search Revolution.
There are many people who believe we are on the verge of a full-scale search revolution. It has already started and happens right now, in front of your eyes, even if you don’t notice it.
Although voice recognition technology emerged earlier than you could expect — in 1961, its global recognition and usage began not so long ago. To be more exact, the trend has appeared in the past few years and now it is rapidly growing. So if you wonder what is voice search and why it is so popular today, this blog-post will answer your questions.
Voice Technology Trend in Numbers
Because there is no better way to trace the trend’s swift growth than to see statistic data on it, we provide you with information borrowed from surveys on voice technology:
- According to a study conducted by Northstar Research, 55% of teens and 41% of adults out of 1,400 Americans use voice search daily.
- The study conducted by eMarketer says that 35.6 million Americans used a voice-activated assistant device in 2017 at least once a month, which is a 128.9% jump in comparison to 2016. Furthermore, 60.5 million Americans — nearly one-fifth of the population— used Siri, Cortana, Alexa, Google voice assistant, and other virtual assistants in 2017 at least once a month.
- According to Invoca report called ‘The Rise Of Voice’, 89% owners of smart voice assistants talk to them every day, while 33% talk to them more than five times a day.
- According to NPR’s Smart Audio Report, 65% owners of Smart Speakers say they “can’t imagine going back”. Meanwhile, Google’s report called “Voice-Activated Speakers: People’s Lives Are Changing”states that 72% owners of Voice Speakers say that their devices are used as part of their daily routines, and 41% say that using voice-activated speaker is like talking to a friend.
- Per ComScore presentation, 50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020.
Statistics on voice searches looks very promising. Hundreds of studies have been conducted on voice search in recent years: all of them indicate that the current trend will continue to grow. So why the voice search trend is growing so quickly? Let us find it out.
Reasons For Voice Technology Popularity
There are 3 main reasons for the current voice technology trend, and all of them lie in its usability:
- Searching with voice is much faster than typing. According to Purna Virji, the senior training manager at Microsoft, an average person can speak 100-150 words a minute, while when it comes to typing, the rate is about 38-40 words per minute. Considering the fact that human nature always wants quick results with minimum effort, there is no wonder why voice search becomes the preferable alternative to typing. What it more, you don’t even need to install any voice search app to perform such a quick search.
- While more than a half of the world’s population — 4.43 billion people out of about 7.7 — owns a mobile phone, 58% of mobile searchers use voice search at least “some of the time”.
- Using voice search is more convenient in a number of ways. According to the above-mentioned Stone Temple survey, 85% of respondents say they use voice search because it is fast, 75% because results of voice searches are read back, 58% because they ‘don’t have to type’, 56% use voice searches because the produced results are accurate, and 24% state that voice search results are customized to their personal preferences.
Taking into account the above-mentioned reasons, it will not be overwhelming to say that voice search is not just a hype, but a legit trend. What is more, its bright future is also ensured by the number of ways voice technology can be used to make our life easier.
How Voice Technology Can Be Used
Voice search allows reducing time spent on typing of the same text to 3.7 times, providing its users with more personalized results which require less effort. Voice technology itself can be used to:
- make search queries;
- request for different sorts of information, such as information on weather, stock quote or sports score;
- launch and use programs, as well as select some specific options;
- make voice dials;
- make payments;
- do shopping;
- order meals;
- book hotels;
As more businesses include voice technology to their websites, applications and other sorts of products, the potential of the technology grows. So now let us see what are the main industries where voice technology can be used.
Industries Voice Technology Impacts
Currently, there are three main spheres that voice technology impacts most. Learning about the ways in which voice search and technology changes the face of these spheres can be helpful both for its users and businesses who want to keep pace with the times and produce up-to-date products.
The Stark mansion is no longer a fiction. At least, modern technologies become increasingly entwined with its image, and some will probably come true in the nearest future. It is possible that in some years every house will be equipped with the appliance you can actually talk to.
Such revolutionary technologies are already existing and with each passing year, they become smarter and better. Currently, you can make your home smarter by choosing devices paired with voice assistants, which allow you getting the work done simply by speaking.
For example, with the help of smart speakers such as the Amazon’s Echo or assistant Google Home Mini, you can control some of your home appliance connected to the speaker: music player, lightning, temperature, door locks, window shades, and more. In addition, a smart speaker can serve as a central information source about the weather, traffic, directions and so on.
On the one hand, the impact of voice technologies to the marketing brings some significant benefits: it attracts customers, allowing them to shop online in a most convenient way, from anywhere and on any device.
On the other hand, voice search technologies are offering a high level of personalization, which is good for customers but makes traditional marketing strategies useless. In other words, voice technology requires marketers to redo their best-working strategies from scratch. Although such strategies definitely require more efforts, voice recognition provides the ability to launch campaigns based on each individual user, opening new ways of wooing a client.
Businesses can use voice technologies in a number of ways: for IT service management, operation management, business management, office management, HR management, and so on. Voice assistant in business can serve as a communication connector, ensuring effective voice interactions. Also, it can be seen as a helpful tool for collecting information about a user’s activity and preferences that can further be used for the creation of analytic reports and researches.
Although the future of voice technology is still uncertain, it is predictable that it will be improved in terms of intelligence, responsiveness, and accurateness. Also, it is possible to assume that sooner or later, this hands-free technology will spread to all the areas of activity due to its extraordinary convenience in use and the ability to save a lot of precious time. So it does not matter if you haven’t been impacted by voice technology yet: the miracles it can bring to our lives are right around the corner, so get ready!